Brussels Blog
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
  Cafe d'Europe

What I did on Europe Day

David, Grade 4.
9th May 2006

I love holidays. Especially when everyone else is at school. Europe Day is one of these special holidays and it is my favourite one. First of all it is always sunny, the birds sing in the garden and many beautiful flowers grow on the trees. I like the purple ones best. But I also like walking around my town with nothing to worry about at all. And I love looking at people sitting in the sunshine. They often read a book or a newspaper or just chat to each other and laugh. Some people read a huge pink newspaper. These people are often men and wear sunglasses. There are many ‘cafes’ in my town and when the sun comes out, I look at the people and imagine that this is what people mean when they say ‘happiness’. My friend Pierre, who is in a place called Antwerp today, agrees and we have promised each other that when we grow up and become powerful men (like our Prime Minister) we will help people to open many cafes and bars on an island somewhere in the Mediterranean Sea. I have seen pictures of this place. The sea is so blue. Our teacher told us that it’s very very hot there. I also like to eat funny food with my friends. My friend Anna is ‘cool’ and always likes to do new things which she calls ‘stuff’. Today she told me about a place called Chez Oki and we tried some food from this country called Japan which tasted very good. But the people were funny too – they had strange eyes and looked different. A boy in my class thinks that they shouldn’t be our friends because they are not like us and he says that his father doesn’t like them. But my friend Andre’s best friend looks exactly like that woman and she is very very nice. I also like to look into shop windows but not too much. My favourite street is called Rue de Bailli which has many small shops and many bars and cafes. People seem to smile all the time on this street. I don’t know why they seem so happy but I like it. I think it’s the friendly shopkeepers who always say things like ‘bonjour’ or ‘merci’ or ‘allez, pas de problemes’. Maybe it’s the yellow trams chugging slowly up and down making their funny tinkling noises. Or the big church at the top of the road. Or the man who sells cakes and sweets at the other end. Maybe it’s all the people who don’t look the same and who speak strange languages. Some have white skin while others have black skin and big hair like my friend Ed. Some even have yellow skin. Mine is brown especially when I sit in the sunshine. Tomorrow we must go to school again. Pierre told me that his project was making eggs. Tomorrow we will meet Antoine, a boy from a place called Malta who wants to go to Europe too because he loves different languages and observing people sitting in cafes while they read a book. Is that a bit strange? Anyway, I’m sure that he will like the cafes on my favourite street.
 
Comments:
Watch it!!

Anzi, be wAAAAArned!!
 
F: Take.....care!
M-L: Be waaaarned.
F: Watch it!
crowd: ggggggggg
F: Watch it!
crowd: gggggggggggggg
F: NEBHA

hu gost il-lux twan
a presto!
 
The infantile regression is a little experiment with the style adopted by Mark Haddon in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time which was followed up by Rohan Candappa with his hilarious The Curious Incident of the WMD in Iraq.

But my experiment has, until now, been met by mixed reactions. While two of the protagonists (namely Pierre and Antoine) thought that it worked ok, another one (Anna) confirmed my suspicions that it was a bit banal. She fell short of saying that it was a load of bull, but only just.

I now suspect that both Pierre and Antoine were only being polite...

Watch it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
TOUT EST KITCH, SI L'ON VEUT.

ARCHIVES
May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Mit-18 ta' Dicembru 2005
Free Web Counter
Friends, Bloggers, (mainly) Countrymen
  • Fool's Cap - Malta's intelligentsia laid bare
  • J'accuse - Probably, Malta's most popular blog
  • Pierre J. Mejlak - Maltese literature spreads its wings
  • Toni Sant - In the beginning there was Toni
  • Wired Temples - Malta as centre of the universe
  • Il-Blobb tas-Sibt Filghaxija - Immanuel Mifsud
  • Xifer - Hibernating on the Edge
  • Triq il-Maqluba - Il-Malti fuq ruhu (bhalissa bil-brejk f'post griz)
  • Neebother - Thinking in the Cold
  • Malta, 9 Thermidor - The Right's Rottweiler
  • Aaron Farrugia's Blog - The beginning of the end of door-to-door visits?
  • Inutile de degeler - Cryptic stuff from the land of surrealism
  • Ajjut! Ajjut! - The aches and pains inflicted by Brand Malta
  • Lost in Thought - And Lots Going On
  • Mexxej Hassieb - Down, High and Out in Prague and Valletta
  • Kim Bah Lee - Bruxelles a l'anglaise